Photo monitoring results

By Bill Kleiman

On the left is the Hill Site owned and managed by the Middle Rock Conservation Partners. On the right is how the left used to look before a brush mower did a lot of work, followed up by seeding prairie seeds, and basal bark application to re-sprouts, and one fire.

Above photo is from a few years back showing a closed canopy oak woodland. In amongst the oak and hickory was a lot of invasive brush and weedy trees.

1939 aerial photo above of the same site. Likely a grazed oak savanna at that time.

Above are random points assigned to the site where we took quadrat data of the vegetation and photos.

Random points 39: We took one photo from each points looking north. Here the excessive weedy brush is evident. This was a place you walked bent over with safety glasses on.

Same point 10 months later, after a lot of brush mowing and a spring fire.

Same point 3 years later and in November. I used a bit of of a pano photo which I found allowed the trees to be in the photo. Because these random points are found later with a phone GPS there is 10 to 15 feet of error in finding the exact same point. So the pano “captures” the big oaks. I could have a fence post marking the exact point, or a hidden rebar rod, but those are hard to find and maintain.

We also collect a photo and a count of species and their percent cover. Here under a canopy of brush we have the ground mostly exposed with bare soil and a few weedy plants.

Ten months later there a few grasses seen, a honeysuckle re-sprout.

Three years later in November and oak leaves dominate the frame. We will resample the vegetation in a few more years. For now we just have these photos.

The work continues in other parts of this site, and other partner sites, with the red brush mower and the MRCP service truck.

For more details on this monitoring go to the Middle Rock Conservation Partners site https://www.middlerockconservationpartners.org/vegetation-baseline-survey.html

About Grassland Restoration Network blog

Bill Kleiman publishes this blog. Bill's daytime job is manager of Nachusa Grasslands. We are looking for guest authors on various topics of grassland habitat restoration. Contact me with your ideas or drafts.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Photo monitoring results

  1. Leah Kleiman says:

    A picture is worth 1000 words. Very effective photos! Thanks to you, Damian, and all for the hard work.

  2. Kevin Scheiwiller says:

    Do you all ever foliar treat resprouts the first season after mowing or rely mostly on nasal bark applications?

    • We have done some foliar spraying of short re-sprouts of brush, but they don’t offer much to spray for water based foliar treatments. You get a few leaves. Instead, I lean more towards a small amount of basal bark herbicide sprayed on brush as it emerges after mowing. The leaves of the emerging plants are easy to see in the mowing slash. I aim close to the ground where those sprouts are. I treated about 50 re-sprouts one late spring, tree painting each plant to mark them, and by August they were all dead.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s